facebook youtube

History

In Solingen it was demanded as early as in the 19th century that by means of a special school the graphic and design aspects of the steelware industry should be supported and further developed. In 1904, almost 80 years after the idea’s first coming up, the plans were finally realised, the "Fachschule für Stahlwarenindustrie in Solingen" (technical college for steelware industry in Solingen) was founded.

"The most important task of the technical college shall be to give people working in the Solingen steelware industry the possibility to gain further knowledge – theoretical, practical and concerning questions of taste – in their professions."

For four years students and teachers had to put up with a make-shift school, but in 1908 they moved into a splendid newly erected building. From the very start a collection of examples of old Solingen products was created as a source of information for the students of different professions. Acquisitions, presents as well as generous donations made the collection grow and a special focus was put on edged weapons, swords and rapiers by sword smiths from Solingen. The growth of the collections led to the founding of an "industrial museum" in some rooms of the school. Up to now only local objects had been collected, but now the collection’s aim was to bring together edged weapons and cutlery from all times and places. The ever growing number of objects demanded a new solution concerning the premises. The close connection to the technical college was anachronistic, the collection needed a museum of its own. In 1954 the collection was moved to the former town hall of Gräfrath – today the Kunstmuseum of the city of Solingen – and was opened under the name Deutsches Klingenmuseum. Further important newly bought objects strengthened the two main areas of the collection, edged weapons and cutlery. Acquiring two huge cutlery collections gave international importance to this part of the collection of the Deutsches Klingenmuseum. At the same time all kinds of objects like paintings, graphics and sculptures dealing with either the topic of weapons or the concept of table culture support the collection. But with the years also the former town hall got to small and in 1991 the museum moved to his present premises. While moving the collection to new rooms a long nurtured dream was at last realised: the collection is now presented in a far more generous style according to a new and modern concept.

contact

klingenmuseum

Öffnungszeiten

täglich 10 – 17 Uhr
freitags 14 – 17 Uhr
montags geschlossen